Saturday, September 24, 2011

First Shakespeare Play!

I feel like I finally understand a little better why Shakespeare has such world-wide acclaim. Although I have read many of his plays, I never caught the full vision of Shakespeare until tonight-- the first time that I have actually gone to a live Shakespeare play:  this one A Winter's Tale. If productions are rated according to the emotive content they evoke, then this production in Cedar City, Utah was perfect.

To me it is almost audible the conversation that the planners of the play must have had before the play, in which they were discussing the concept of it all. What I can hear them answer which contributed to that success is the question of how they were going to make all the details of casting work out. For me, it was the interaction that sparked the emotive power behind the words first recorded on the page.

I would have liked to have been present at the casting of these characters to see what they looked for. The interplay of personalities, words, and emotion behind each character made the production come to life for me. So really all I am trying to say is that much more than before, I am a convert to Shakespeare. He had a motive and a message that seemed to be so clear that only could be conveyed through a medium more powerful than the written word alone. I loved it.


4 comentarios:

amdhow said...

I agree. It was very well cast. The only one I really had a problem with was Florizel. His character made me want to die a little. He was too Edward Cullen and I did not care for it one bit.

Erik said...

Yeah, you are right, now that I think about it. He was a little much.

acorkin said...

bah ha ha. he was a little bit... romantic-y but it was sweet! that's how he was written. Plus who doesn't love a little disgustingly-cute romance...? (Erik, you and your wife were adorable) (to clarify-not disgustingly-cute, just cute!)

Erik said...

Ha ha! Yes. I totally understand Florizel now... and I sympathize with those that thought our newly-weddedness was a little over-the-top. Hooray for Shakespeare! I bet he was the same way with his wife!