Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Intentions

          I find it hard to believe that anyone ever tries intentionally to do evil. Perhaps there are people that indeed have come to that point, but I doubt that anybody starts that way. It seems like there is always a motive behind our actions that has some type of justification in our own minds. Where we go wrong perhaps is when we start to have to justify ourselves in an unnatural way... that is we start to have to go out of our way to look for the justification that we are doing right when indeed if we were to analyze our emotions we would have to admit that we are not.

         I was just thinking about my own life how I soften look for justification in doing what isn't totally right. But I have noticed that it is often a subconscious thing. Yet, I feel like this is not the case with Leontes, and I think that is an interesting statement on Shakespeare's part. It increases the potency of the message that forgiveness is still possible for wrongs that are premeditated.


2 comentarios:

acorkin said...

interesting! how Leontes doesn't forgive himself for 16 years. nor does he try to blame insanity or anything-he just beats himself up for 16 years! then when redemption and forgiveness come to him, it's that much more powerful because he was that much more relieved.

Erik said...

Sad, huh? How people will go years without facing that which is difficult for them rather than face it head on. In this case I think he was willing to face it, just couldn't forgive himself. It has to be a decision!