Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shakespeare Acculturation

Elements of English culture reflected in Shakespeare's writing (that must have seemed like a second nature to all those listening to his productions) may have had an influence of acculturaton among the hispanic audience. I am interested in finding out to what extent that may have happened-- whether just among the academic sector (in which acculturation is not very likely anyway) or if Shakespeare's influence was actually able to reach and influence a broader audience generally (the way Japanese comics affect American teens). I venture a guess that it is somewhere in between.

Alas. That is not the theme for today really. I wanted to keep it here just as a reminder, so that I can remember the details and come back later.

I love the theme that Shakespeare presents about madness and sanity that seems prevalent in Hamlet. This was the first reaction that I had of something that enjoyed thinking about. This is the thing that I wonder most if has affected at all the cultures of others, actually. It seems such an English thing to me that we overanalyze, become obsessive, and work ourselves up to madness. This was one of the first thoughts that I had while reading him.

 Social interactions in my mind are the best indicator this really happens. The way Hamlet treats his family and "family", the way Claudius treats his wife and his step-son, etc all seem to indicate a lasting tension.

In the Hispanic community that I have come to know well, family relations are not always happy and certainly not blithe, but have a simplicity about them that Hamlet's family certainly does not. I cannot ever recall having dealt with complicated mental or emotional conflict among the Hispanic people with which I served. I wonder if the presentation of these ideas to the Hispanic community ever rubs off.

2 comentarios:

Martina S. said...

I liked your example of Hamlet's influence being like Japanese comics. That really helped me put into perspective what you were trying to say. The idea of one culture affecting another through literature is interesting, and probably true. But I don't think it would change substantial things such as family relationships. Maybe just more surface level influences. Like the way our society uses Shakespeare quotes in conversation, or the idea of a Romeo and Juliet love story we all have somewhere in our heads.

Erik said...

Thanks so much for your comments. I agree with you... in the media that I have seen at least the greatest effect on the audience has been mostly superficial.