Thursday, October 27, 2011

Whoa, Shakespeare... everywhere...

Claude is a cheerful guy living day to day by a means that is unbeknownst to me. We met at a park a few weeks ago and occasionally have had a few short chats. Driving back to Provo this morning, I decided to drop off with him a small bag of bagels that I had received from my Mother-in-law (don't tell her I gave them away), and we started a conversation about the upcoming Halloween 'holiday' this year. Then something happened that took me off-guard... this affable, simple guy started to engage me in Shakespearian banter! The conversation went something like this:

"So, whacha been up to man?" He asks anxiously, more genuine than most people.
"I've just been studying", I respond, "and been teaching up at the MTC".
"That's so great, man, that's really cool! What have you been taking for your classes?"
"Actually, I am in a really cool Shakespeare class which I really enjoy."
"Oh, that's great, I love that, man, y'know, 'to be or not to be', is like the trademark of Shakespeare. I know Hamlet and I think that's great stuff."
"Huh! You like Shakespeare?"
"Yeah, man, he really, like, makes stuff come alive."
"I think I know what you mean; his histories especially I like because of the emotional connection that it makes to us."
"Yeah, I was thinkin' about that man Josefus, who was a big historian, and Josefus went hand in hand with Shakespeare, I think, because of the history".
"Really?! I love that. History is just a great way to express what others felt long before we ever did."
"Yeah, that is why he is so great, man."

Here was my reaction:


Even the poorest of the poor seem to venerate this master of our English tongue. You should go out and say hello to this friend of mine. You would have a great discussion about Shakespeare. You might learn something, like I did.

3 comentarios:

Martina S. said...

I still love that you talked to a homeless guy! There's no limit to Shakespeare's reach. Way to go on working in your play, too! With the history play references. Seems like a really cool experience.

Gideon Burton said...

Yes, very cool. Thanks for doing this and posting it. (The video you appended was not operating. Not sure how crucial that was).

acorkin said...

AWESOME! this is soo cool! I love how people can surprise you, and also how universal shakespeare is! it almost always catches me off guard the people who tell me they love shakespeare. My entire football team in high school read macbeth just for fun.